I’ve been making these grits for a long time. The original recipe said to bake the grits after everything was mixed together. I often wondered why I needed to bake already cooked food. So, one time (when I was short on time) I decided to skip the “bake it in the oven for 30 minutes step” and just eat it right after it was mixed. And you know what? I actually liked this quick-cooking method better!
I love it when I can save time.
Grits make a great side dish. However, my favorite way to eat them is with shrimp on top!
Here they are, making a perfect bed for these shrimp to lay on.
- 2 cloves Garlic , chopped
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 cup Grits
- 4 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
- ½ stick Butter
- 1 Egg, beaten
- ¼ cup Milk
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Saute garlic in 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet.
- While garlic is sauteing, boil water. Add grits and salt and cook according to package directions, about 4 minutes.
- After grits are cooked, remove from heat and add butter and cheese. Stir until both are melted and combined with grits. Add egg, milk, and salt and pepper. Serve immediately.