Love Panera Bread’s Broccoli Cheese Soup? Yeah, me too.
This is perfect for a quick dinner at home before heading out to soccer practice!
Serve it with some Hot-Doggy Breadstix!
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups chicken stock or bouillon
- ½ lb. fresh broccoli florettes, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter. Set aside. Cook ¼ cup melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half. Add the chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup should be thickened by now.
- If you want the veggies to be smooth, pour the soup into blender and puree (do this in several batches). (I did not puree mine.) Otherwise, skip to the next step.
- Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended. Stir in the nutmeg and serve.