My family lived in Memphis for 7 years. About the only thing I miss about Memphis is the BBQ. More specifically, I miss a good chopped pork BBQ sandwich.
Yes, Texas is known for their BBQ also. So, when I moved here I didn’t really consider the changes that my BBQ would take.
Whoa, buddy. Let me just tell you, it’s really hard to find pork around here. There’s beef, chicken, ribs and even turkey. I can’t figure out where the Texans are hiding the pork? So, to get my fix, I have to make it myself.
I think Elvis would approve.
- pork shoulder, also known as Boston butt, about 4 to 7 pounds, bone-in or boneless
- ¼ cup of water
- salt and pepper lightly
- BBQ sauce – I like Head Country!
- Place the meat in the Crock-Pot with water, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Remove roast and discard fat and juices. Chop or shred the pork; return to Crock-Pot. Mix a little BBQ sauce into the meat for flavor. Cook for about 1 hour longer, until hot.
- Serve on warm sandwich buns with coleslaw and extra BBQ sauce.