I use the term “salad” very loosely here. This should probably be classified as a dessert. However, it goes so well with dinner food, that I’d rather just call it a salad. This way, you still get to have dessert later. Smart thinking, huh?
This salad takes about 2 hours to prepare, as you need to cool and refrigerate it after each layer is added. The actual hands-on prep time is very simple, so don’t let that keep you from making it.
- 1 cup crushed pretzels
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 4 oz frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 oz package strawberry flavored Jell-O®
- 1 cup boiling water
- 8 oz package frozen strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the pretzels, 2 tablespoons sugar and melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 8×8″ pan. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat the ½ cup sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spread evenly over the cooled crust. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the gelatin mix and boiling water. Mix in frozen strawberries, and stir until thawed. Pour over cream cheese mixture in pan. Refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 1 hour.