Comfort food. This is one of those “fix it and leave it alone” recipes. Simple. I like simple.
You can make this on the stove top (follow the recipe instructions), or simply combine steps 2 & 3 and put everything together in a Crock-pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. If you do the Crock-pot version, make the gravy on the stove top just before eating.
- 3-4 pound boneless beef chuch or rump roast
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 2 cups, divided water
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 bag baby carrots
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons flour, mixed with ½ cup cold water
- In a large pan, brown roast in oil; remove and set aside. Pour off excess oil.
- In the same pan, combine mushroom soup, onion soup mix, and 1 cup water. Heat to boiling. Return roast to pan. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 2 hours, turning roast occasionally.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and onions and 1 cup water. Cover and cook another 40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Gradually stir the flour and water mixture into the sauce in the pan, stirring until sauce boils and thickens. (Leave the meat and veggies in the pot while you do this.) Serve gravy over roast and veggies.