My kids request soup quite often. I’m happy to make it too. It’s usually very easy and fast. This one is no exception.
I pulled these Hot-Doggy Breadstix out of my freezer to go along with the soup. Yum!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 box (about 6 oz.) uncooked wild rice, I used Uncle Ben’s
- ½ cup margarine or butter
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half and half
- 1½ cup shredded cooked chicken, I use rotisserie chicken
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in a little olive oil. Once cooked, add the chicken broth, water, and wild rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes (or until rice is tender). Once the rice is cooked, there will be some additional liquid – do not drain.
- In a separate saucepan, melt margarine, stir in flour, salt, seasoning, and pepper. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in half and half to the butter/flour mixture and cook until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add this creamy mixture to the saucepan with the rice/broth and stir until well combined.
- Add chicken. Heat on low and stir occasionally for 30 minutes. Do not boil.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon.